For Immediate Release
AMFA Appearance Technicians at SWA Ratify Contract Extension
AURORA, Colo. – November 23, 2016 – Approximately 200 AMFA-represented Appearance Technicians at Southwest Airlines recently ratified a contract extension by an overwhelming margin. The extension replaces the current collective bargaining agreement. Some notable parts of the agreement are:
- One-time ratification bonus of $593,177 (6% of 2015 401(k) earnings) for a division among Employees eligible to vote for ratification
- Effective August 1, 2017, there will be a 4% increase to the pay scale
- Effective August 1, 2018, there will be a 3% increase to the pay scale
- Effective August 1, 2019, there will be a 3% increase to the pay scale
- Effective August 1, 2020, there will be a 3% increase to the pay scale
- Requests for vacation made less than 24 hours in advance will be granted if a slot is available in shift allocation and at least 8 hours’ notice is provided
- Employees on Transitional Duty will not be eligible for overtime or able to pick up other Employees’ shift/day trades, however, they are eligible to give shifts away.
The contract extension takes effect in February 2017 and is valid through February 2021.
“The Appearance Technicians are very pleased with the extension agreement,” said AMFA National Director Bret Oestreich. “We’re hopeful that this success can translate to other parts of our collective bargaining negotiations with Southwest Airlines so all AMFA-represented employees at Southwest can get a fair deal.”
The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association is a craft oriented, independent aviation union. AMFA represents licensed and unlicensed technicians and related employees actively involved in the aviation industry. These technician and related employees work directly on aircraft and/or components, support equipment, and facilities. AMFA is committed to elevating the professional standing of technicians and to achieving progressive improvements in wages, benefits, and working conditions of the skilled craftsmen and women it represents. For more information about AMFA visit www.amfanational.org.